Club Med Michès Playa Esmeralda Brings All-Inclusive Luxury to the Americas
Eco-chic Club Med’s first-ever Exclusive Collection resort in the Americas is now open in the Dominican Republic
December 2, 2019
Club Med, which brought the all-inclusive vacation concept to life in Europe in the 1960s, is alive and well and now a taking its luxury collection to the Domincan Republic with Club Med Michès Playa Esmeralda. The brand’s first Exclusive Collection resort in the Americas opened as a 93-acre resort on an unspoiled beach in Miches, Dominican Republic — the first major site to open within the region and continuing Club Med’s legacy of pioneering new destinations (such as being the first resort company to open in Punta Cana, Cancun, and dozens of other now-popular destinations), Miches is ready to become a new hotspot for international travelers seeking new experiences and hospitality companies seeking new destinations.
With a recently opened highway connecting Punta Cana to Miches directly, the tourism industry is expected to grow in the area substantially over the next few years, providing an economic boost to the area and new career opportunities for the residents.
“The opening of Club Med Michès Playa Esmeralda marks a huge milestone in Club Med’s history,” notes Carolyne Doyon, President and CEO of Club Med North America. “This new resort embodies the strong trailblazing spirit at the heart of Club Med. We open our doors to travelers from all over the world in hopes that they can experience what first drew us to Miches: the rich culture, the pristine and untouched beaches, the beautifully lush landscapes, and the welcoming, lively spirit that abounds in the Dominican Republic.”
Club Med Michès Playa Esmeralda enacts an eco-chic concept that takes the surrounding region and environment into consideration from start to finish. The project was designed and executed to minimize its environmental footprint and the resort enacts a green-minded mentality in its everyday operations.
Exclusive Collection Resort
Exclusive Collection resorts are characterized by their premium accommodations and personalized services, refined dining concepts and lounges, transformational experiences, and unique architecture and design elements, all found in exclusively beautiful locations around the world.
Other Exclusive Collection resorts in Club Med’s portfolio include: Club Med Cefalù in Sicily, Italy; Club Med Finolhu Villasin the Maldives; Club Med Valmorel Chalets in the French Alps; and Club Med Albion in Mauritius.
The Four Boutique Villages
The resort features four boutique villages (none of which are higher than two stories to blend into the surrounding foliage). Each of the four boutique villages presents its own environment, activities and accommodations. The villages include Archipelago, Caribbean Paradise, Emerald Jungle and Explorer Cove.
• Archipelago – The Archipelago boutique village features a sophisticated oceanfront sanctuary exclusively for adults. Archipelago is an area only accessible to those who stay in the boutique village, featuring 18 oceanfront suites, each with their own private pool. Guests who stay in this area also benefit from an outdoor shower, a direct infinity view from the bedroom, exclusive access to a private section of the beach, and a calm and intimate atmosphere.
• Caribbean Paradise – Caribbean Paradise is the heart of the resort, full of tropical gardens and colorful surprises. It offers 111 rooms within proximity to the main pool and the beach lounge. This village features two room types: Deluxe Rooms and Ocean View Junior Suites.
• Emerald Jungle – The Emerald Jungle boutique village is a relaxing eco-chic retreat where peace and wellness meet. The boutique village brings 48 deluxe rooms and is part of Club Med’s adult-exclusive Zen Oasis concept. The area creates a calm and peaceful atmosphere, close to the Zen pool, fitness facilities, spa, and the wellness bar.
• Explorer Cove – Explorer Cove offers families a trove of activities. Explorer Cove provides 158 family accommodations with large rooms, a playful atmosphere, and is close to the children’s clubs and sports facilities. This village features four room types: La Perla suites, Ocean View Family Junior Suites, Deluxe Family Rooms, and Deluxe Rooms.
o La Perla is an exclusive area featuring 16 oceanfront family suites and four oceanfront penthouse family suites with a rooftop terrace within Explorer Cove. This area provides special access to its own private family pool, family bar and beach cabanas.
Club Med Michès Playa Esmeralda acts as the catalyst for Club Med’s environment-focused positioning and is based on five core pillars: agriculture, immersion, waste management, energy and people.
Sustainability is at the heart of the resort with special programs and initiatives, including:
• No single-use plastics in the resort
• Locally sourced coffee and cacao products in the resort’s Coffee House, in partnership with local farmers
• Employee uniforms are created out of recycled plastic bottles (currently more than 200,000+ bottles have been recycled for this initiative)
• Programs have been implemented to provide more than 900 locals with language, vocational, and hospitality skill trainings
• Strict eco-friendly certifications
• Solar panel project – an estimated 45,000 square feet of solar panels are being installed in the resort to generate renewable energy
• Programs to stimulate the local economy are underway via various farming development projects to increase the efficiency, quality and demand for local farmers
• In-resort plant nursery currently houses 30,000+ new plants, and more than 2,000 trees were preserved or re-planted during the construction process
• Responsible excursion program offers sustainable activities to highlight the region’s natural gems and culture
• Family environmental workshops offer interactive, fun and educational sessions for parents and children to learn about the environment together and participate in hands-on gardening activities
Gourmet Dining and Lounge Experience
Club Med Michès Playa Esmeralda revealed an extensive and refined culinary and beverage program upon opening. Guests have access to four unique restaurants, four open-bar lounges, three wine cellars, a locally-sourced Coffee House and a Secret Chocolate Room.
For full details of the resort’s culinary program, click here.
Activities and Entertainment
At Club Med Michès Playa Esmeralda, guests enjoy more than 25 different sports and activities, including fitness classes, tennis, pickleball, archery, indoor climbing, circus activities (including the flying trapeze), kayaking, snorkeling, aqua fitness, team sports, dance classes, a guided running trail, and various yoga classes.
The wellness program at the resort includes a scenic Treetop Wellness Canopy and oceanfront platform, meditation classes and five different types of yoga classes: family yoga, gravity yoga, acro-yoga, aqua yoga and paddle yoga.
The resort hosts six distinct iconic active experiences that are a must-try: electric surfboarding, Hobie Eclipse (stand-up pedal board), treetop yoga class, family paddleboarding, a fitness trail, and horseback riding on the beach.
Aside from the activities, guests can take a dip in one of four pools: the main pool, the adult-exclusive natural Zen pool, the family pool, and the Mini Club pool for children.
After an active day, guests can book a self-pampering experience at the Cinq Mondes spa. The luxury spa features single and double treatment rooms, reflexology and relaxation areas, hydrotherapy treatments, hot and cold plunge baths, steam room, sauna and a beauty salon.
As the resort holds two family-focused boutique villages, the resort offers rich family programming. The full range of children’s clubs includes Baby Club Med (4 months to 23 months), Petit Club Med (2 years to 3 years), Mini Club Med (4 years to 10 years) and Club Med Passworld (11 years to 17 years). The resort also offers Pyjama Club, a babysitting service for those moments when parents want to have their own date night.
For additional fun, the resort is equipped with a Little Gardeners’ House (an interactive family-friendly gardening experience), a children’s Splash Park, a kid-focused zipline and ropes course, and sports activities for parents and children to participate in together.
Explore the Destination
For those seeking to explore the undiscovered region of Miches, the resort offers a robust excursions program allowing guests to explore places like Laguna Limón, a stunning nature reserve; the 170-foot-high cascading Limón waterfall; Samaná Bay, featuring protected islands with native flora, wildlife, and a known site for whale watching; and Montaña Redonda, a “rounded mountain” with 360-degree panoramic views of the surrounding flourishing landscape, known for its photo-famous swings.