Hilton Looks to Asia Pacific for Next Century of Operations
Global hospitality company caps off dynamic 100th year with record growth and performance within a challenging business outlook
March 4, 2020
Now, passing its 100th year, Hilton is hitting new milestones with a record number of signings in Asia Pacific. Some 352 hotels in operation and 583 hotels in the pipeline, making Hilton one of the fastest-growing hospitality companies in Asia Pacific. One in five rooms under construction in Asia Pacific carries a Hilton flag — increasing to one in three in China. As part of its continuing growth journey, Hilton is looking ahead to an even bigger and more exciting year in 2020.
“Having wrapped up our centenary milestone, we will continue to remain focused on our long-term growth in the region, as we navigate short-term head winds, guided by our driving purpose to be the most hospitable company in the world and create a positive, long lasting impact on our communities. As we move forward, we will continue to expand on the Hilton Effect so that we can continue to serve our guests for any travel need they have, anywhere in the world,” said Alan Watts, president, Asia Pacific, Hilton.
APAC Growth and Performance
• Hilton’s footprint across the region with a record 70+ hotel openings, driving strong growth across the portfolio of eight brands in Asia Pacific, including the launch of SAii Lagoon Maldives, Curio Collection by Hilton, Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi and DoubleTree by Hilton Perth Northbridge.
• Hilton opened its 200th hotel in China with the debut of Canopy by Hilton Chengdu City Center, and the 300th hotel in Asia Pacific with Hampton by Hilton Xi’an Beidajie.
• Hilton has signed over 200 deals, which include Hilton Sapporo Park, the entry of Canopy of Hilton in Thailand with Canopy by Hilton Bangkok Sukhumvit, as well as the entry of Tapestry Collection by Hilton in Asia Pacific.
• 2019 marked the fifth year of Hilton’s partnership with Plateno Hotels Group to rapidly launch and develop the Hampton by Hilton brand in China. In five years, the Hampton by Hilton brand in Greater China has become the fastest growing singular brand in China, growing to 100 trading hotels, with almost 400 properties in the pipeline.
• The flagship Hilton Hotels and Resorts brand is the world’s most valuable single hotel brand, while the three fastest-growing hotel brands — DoubleTree by Hilton, Hampton by Hilton and Homewood Suites — are in Hilton’s portfolio.
• Hilton launched the Hilton Garden Inn (HGI) Accelerator in China. The HGI Accelerator is a prototype of the current HGI brand that has been adjusted to resonate with the local Chinese consumer in a regionally-relevant way, but is still anchored on global brand standards like bright and airy spaces and “bright hearted” service standards. It also systematically delivers talents and professional training programs for owners. To date, 12 hotels have been signed on the back of the launch.
• It launched a series of WeChat Mini Programs which offer a complete journey of online services, including booking, hotel information and local exploration, payment, meal ordering and social sharing, to improve the guest experience and travel efficiency. The Mini Apps on WeChat allow guests to book at all Hilton properties across Greater China and Mongolia, as well as more than 300 hotels in popular outbound destinations.