America has a new airline. Meet Avelo Airlines, the first new mainline airline to enter the market in nearly 15 years. It made its debut this week at Hollywood Burbank Airport (BUR) with routes mostly serving the western U.S. and bag-packing low fares. Introductory one-way fares start at $19 on all routes.
Similar to the Southwest model in the early years, Avelo will offer everyday low fares coupled with a smooth and convenient travel experience, with non-stop unserved and under-served routes between its hub at BUR and 11 destinations across the Western U.S. Flights are open for booking at aveloair.com with flights starting April 28, 2021. Current availability is through September 15, 2021.
“Avelo has a simple purpose — to Inspire Travel,” said Avelo Founder, Chairman and CEO Andrew Levy. “People are ready to reconnect with family and friends and explore new places. Avelo is a different and better kind of airline, built from scratch to offer an affordable, convenient and caring travel experience.”
The Avelo leadership team includes top talent from Allegiant Air and United Airlines as well as former senior executives from Delta Air Lines, Frontier Airlines, Hawaiian Airlines, JetBlue Airways, Northwest Airlines and Spirit Airlines.
“After more than 20 years of steadily shrinking consumer choice, the American flying public wants and deserves more options and lower fares,” said Levy. “Avelo offers both — along with a refreshingly smooth and convenient experience.”
Better with Burbank
Avelo has selected Hollywood Burbank Airport as its first base, especially with its convenience to greater Los Angeles and easy navigation with its customer-friendly compact size. The airport offers seamless curbside pickup and drop-off, smaller crowds, shorter walking distances from curb to gate, expedience in plane-to-carousel bag delivery, and shorter TSA security lines.
Avelo’s inaugural routes focus on outdoor recreation, national parks, and coastal and mountain terrain – as well as providing air service for an increasing population of remote workers:
- Arcata / Eureka, CA (ACV), Victorian charm in the heart of California’s Redwood Coast
- Bend / Redmond, OR (RDM), where the snow-capped Cascades surround the high desert
- Bozeman, MT (BZN), the onramp to Big Sky Country and Yellowstone National Park
- Eugene, OR (EUG), where the Willamette Valley begins
- Grand Junction, CO (GJT), where the Colorado River meets dramatic red rock landscapes
- Medford, OR (MFR), a launchpad to the Rogue Valley and Oregon’s wine country
- Pasco, WA (PSC), 300 days of sun in the heart of Washington’s wine country
- Phoenix / Mesa, AZ (AZA), a stress-free airport alternative to a year-round desert oasis
- Odgen, UT (OGD), a convenient Salt Lake City alternative to Utah’s famed mountains
- Redding, CA (RDD), 600 square miles of state and national parks beckon the adventure seeker
- Santa Rosa, CA (STS), the gateway to California’s wine country
Discount Airline Model
The airline will initially operate single-class, fuel-efficient 189-seat Boeing 737-800 aircraft – offering a more comfortable experience than the regional aircraft often utilized by the airports Avelo serves. Avelo’s fares currently mean no change fees or call center fees for those who choose to make reservations by phone.
The airline also brings an unbundled approach to with a la carte options, although at industry-low prices that give customers the flexibility to pay for what they value:
- First Checked Bag: $10
- Carry-On Overhead Bag: $35
- Priority Boarding: $10
- Pet in the Cabin: $95
- Seating Options: Avelo’s 189-seat 737-800 aircraft will offer 129 standard slimline 29-inch pitch seats. Pre-reserved window and aisle seating starts at $5. Avelo aircraft will also feature 60 seats with 31 to 38 inches of pitch. These seats start at $18.
Avelo takes the necessary precautions to protect passengers at the gate and during their flight. Airplanes are regularly cleaned and disinfected. Tray tables, galleys, lavatories and all other touch surfaces are sanitized every nightly with Calla 1452 (hospital-grade) disinfectant. Avelo treats the entire airplane regularly with an advanced antimicrobial protectant that kills viruses, germs and bacteria on all surfaces. This Zoono treatment forms a colorless, odorless protective shield and is safe to human contact.
Additionally, the cabin air is refreshed every two to three minutes by the Boeing 737’s top-down air filtration and ventilation system. The system directs air flow from the ceiling to the bottom of the seat — not front to back — and greatly reduces particle movement throughout the cabin. All Avelo airplanes operate with HEPA (High Efficiency Particulate Air) filters that remove 99.9% of air particles, including viruses like the coronavirus, in accordance with manufacturer recommendations. Naturally, all passengers and crew wear face masks at all times, except when eating or drinking.
All passengers receive a convenience package containing a hand sanitizer, as well as a bottled water and small snack.
Flight Routes and Pricing
|Route to/from BUR||First flight||Weekly frequency||$19 fare available for
flights operating at
|Santa Rosa, CA (STS)||4/28/21||Daily||5/27/21|
|Pasco, WA (PSC)||4/29/21||3x||5/27/21|
|Bozeman, MT (BZN)||4/30/21||4x||5/28/21|
|Phoenix/Mesa, AZ (AZA)||5/3/21||Daily||6/2/21|
|Ogden, UT (OGD)||5/4/21||6x||6/3/21|
|Grand Junction, CO (GJT)||5/9/21||4x||6/7/21|
|Medford, OR (MFR)||5/9/21||4x||6/8/21|
|Eugene, OR (EUG)||5/12/21||4x||6/11/21|
|Bend/Redmond, OR (RDM)||5/13/21||3x||6/12/21|
|Arcata/Eureka, CA (ACV)||5/19/21||4x||6/18/21|
|Redding, CA (RDD)||5/20/21||3x||6/19/21|
* $19 fares may be unavailable or less available over Memorial Day weekend, May 28-31, 2021.
$19 is a one-way fare only – additional fees for carry-on and checked bags, assigned seats and other modestly-priced optional services apply.